June 14, 2008

animated gif creation

In my previous post, I included an animated gif showing my editor in action. I thought a gif was appropriate in this situation because it was a short animation, uploading it to YouTube caused serious distortions, Photobucket doesn't allow me to host swf files, and because the limited colours make it suitable for gif compression. I used several free tools to make this gif, and thought I'd describe the process in case others find it useful.

First I used CamStudio to record the demonstration. It's a really simple app that outputs avi files and has the option of converting them to swf files.

After that I used RAD Video Tools to convert the avi file into a series of gif files. I set "Adjust (adds/removes frames) to" to 15, so the output would be 15 frames per second of video.

Then I used GIMP to turn the gif files into a single gif animation using the instructions I found here. Like the post says, I opened the first file and imported the rest as layers using File -> Open As Layers. I saved the file as an animation that loops forever with a 60 ms delay between frames. I also set "frame disposal where unspecified" to one frame per layer, and checked "use delay entered above for all frames" and "use disposal entered above for all frames".

The result was a 523 KB file with 266 frames at 272x248 pixels, 17 seconds at about 15 fps.

1 comment :

Anonymous

Yeah the gif idea was good, it was too short to be a video and obviously still images wouldn't do it justice. Youtube vid's are usually for gameplay demonstrations.

Post a Comment