April 26, 2008

knytt stories

I've just finished replaying Knytt Stories (The Machine and A Strange Dream). It's a 2D platformer by Nifflas that came out in 2007. I meant to post about it earlier, but didn't get around to it until now. I have much love for this game - I think it's as close to perfect as a game can get.



First off, it's very easy to pick up. The interface and controls are extremely simple. The game is all about exploration (which happens to be my favourite thing to do in a game). As the player advances through the world, they gain new abilities that allow them to reach places they couldn't access before. I like that it does not rely on the kill-or-be-killed mechanic (it's just "be killed," but still, it's refreshing). There are infinite lives and plenty of save points, which cuts down on the frustration. Story is minimal: just enough to provide context, the way I prefer it. The retro style music and graphics are great and combine to make a fantastic atmosphere. Levels are short, which is good because I don't have a lot of patience these days, and it makes for a tightly focused experience. Nothing is out of place; all the elements fit together to form a cohesive whole.

This article goes into more depth on the gameplay.

I also recommend previous games by Nifflas: Within A Deep Forest and Knytt.

1 comment :

Anonymous

i played it. its like R only better :D

Post a Comment