September 01, 2008

yet more physics animation

Here is a better example of a physics-based walk:



It's still a bit crude but it's approaching something that could be used in the game. The animation system controls the rotation of the box that the feet are attached to, the feet being IK handles that control the animation of the legs. The walking animations are played when the appropriate keys are pressed.

In other news, I'm starting to see the true enormity of this project, and scaling my plans down accordingly by stripping them of unnecessary features. Fortunately, I hadn't posted about those features so there is nobody to disappoint except myself. I think this may strengthen the game though, by removing distractions that could obscure its core.

8 comments:

Unknown

Looks really interesting. Would you use it for the Char animation of for enemys with such an leg style like in the demo?

Anonymous

Nice work there.
So, just to get this straight - the locomotor is simply a rectangular block constantly rotating? And then the Handles for each of the legs are attached at either end to the block to simulate a walking animation? I think you should maybe consider changing the rectangle into more of a capsule shape because it would resemble a foot more accurately.

Anna

x-tender: I want to use this particular kind of thing as a vehicle that the character can ride in. Regular characters will use a wheel like in my previous post about this.

teh_ham: Yeah, the block rotates when the walking animation is being played. I set a keyframe in the animation to set the rotation speed of the motor of the joint that rotates the block. There are circles at both ends of the rectangle but they are not visible (I didn't mention them to keep things simple).

In the next version of this I am going to try making the rotating box non-colliding and attach boxes to act as feet so it doesn't "float" when it's climbing.

Anonymous

Very ingenious! I think that's a wonderfully reliable way of implementing physics based walking for your bipedal vehicle character. ^_^

Anonymous

how the hell did you learn all this stuff? mail me: rick_online_zero@hotmail.com

i really want to learn making games :(

Anonymous

anna you should make the feet out of 2 blocks, like a true humans feet, should help balance, and make it less floaty

Anonymous

is you search better aproach to motion of this bipedal try "vav der pool oscilators"

axcho

Wow, very impressive. I'm hoping to implement something like this as well. So this is inverse kinematics, not inverse dynamics, right? Do you have any guesses as to how much harder it would be to do with full physically simulated inverse dynamics?

Post a Comment